Blogs > The Oakland Press on social media

Check here to see what we at The Oakland Press are tweeting. The list of accounts include regular staffers as well as the bloggers we link to on our blogs pages.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Tax day has people noticing the governor

Monday was tax day and we asked on Facebook about how the state's tax payments were for readers.
And many Michigan residents were not happy, paying more in taxes this year after recent shifts in taxes brought in by Gov. Rick Snyder.
We also asked if the governor would remain popular enough for a reelection or if the tax payments would make that more difficult.
While some noted that Snyder is working to fix many years of higher unemployment and shrinking state budgets, many said they were angered by the burden being placed on their shoulders.
Here is some of what you had to say:
Barry Lepler: "This should hurt Snyder. The tax increase for people, like the $1 billion cut in money for schools, went for a tax cut to businesses who did not have to create a single job to get it. Tax shaft rather than tax shift."
Andrew Tingley: "I had to pay the state for the first time ever. And it will cause me to think about campaigning for whomever challenges him."
Ron Kerns: "I don't pay (Michigan state) taxes, as I am one of the millions of Michigan residents who had to leave the state to get a decent job. So, Rick Snyder? He's doing all the right things to get Michigan back from the economic destruction....but, of course, there are the embedded special interests who want the 'status quo,' regardless of how damaging it is to the state."
Jason Henwood: "He should win in a landslide. He's the first gov in more than a decade to actually do something good for Michigan."
Marty Carlson: "My taxes went up more than I figured they would. I am retired living on a fixed income and with him eliminating our tax credits, I am starting to eat food I never though I would. As far as reelection, he will has killed it for any Republican or Independent or Tea Party or anything other than a Democrat to get in. "
Joan G. Berndt: "Higher. What else is new? The elimination of tax credits to public radio/TV, state universities and community food banks really hurt generous contributors."
Carole Wheeler Snider: "The state of Michigan was in the worst shape ever when Granholm left. Gov. Snyder has restored Michigan to prosperity. I'd vote for him again in a heartbeat!"
Joshua Bennett: "Snyder wouldn't have to be doing some of the things he is doing if it wasn't for (former Gov. Jennifer) Granholm. We still have the same things in Michigan to pay for with millions of less people to pay for them. If Obama was reelected, anything is possible."
Aaron Poplawski: "I wouldnt mind higher taxes if I saw the benefit. There aren't more good paying jobs, the roads are worse, the schools are worse off, and the right-to-work legislation is ludicrous. Instead of bringing everyone up to a decent middle class income, he wants to bring everyone in the middle down to a lower middle class income."
Anne Wright: "My state taxes went up significantly for 2012, and they are projected to increase enough for 2013 that I have to make estimated state income tax payments and/or adjust my state withholdings. Yes, I hold Snyder accountable for this. No, I haven't seen where this is helping create jobs, or improve education or the roads."
James Dickson: "Republicans steal, Democrats waste, what's worse?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home